Once you get treatment and are on recovery, this does not mean that everything will go smoothly in your life from now on. Reality is, you will still face a lot of problems that your drug use have just hidden from you because it has taken center stage in your life before. Now that you are sober you will see clearly not only the good things in life but also, the negative ones, which are natural and what other people go through.
If before, you damped stress with drugs, now you have to face it as well as the underlying issues that cause it.
So how do you relieve stress with drugs? Follow the following tips to help you handle unpleasant, stressful feealings and situations, because if you don’t chances are you may just set yourself up for falling back into your addiction. Here are the strategies:
- Exercise! Not only does exercise release endorphins; it also relieves stress and promotes emotional well-being.
- Step outside and enjoy nature. Savor the warm sun and have some fresh air. Enjoy a beautiful view
- Relieve stress and find balance by doing yoga or meditation
- Enjoy your pets. Play with them and relax while touching their fur.
- Listen to calming music
- Light a scented candle
- Close your eyes and picture a peaceful place. Think of happy memories and thoughts
- Make yourself a good cup of coffee or tea and just relax while enjoying it
- Look at favorite family photos
- Get a massage
- Have a good shower or soak in a hot bath
- Find a new hobby so you get preoccupied